Sunday, November 4, 2007

Fashion Fights Poverty

I had the distinct pleasure of attending this event in Washington, DC on October 26, 2007. I never thought DC could be so fun! I've always thought of DC as a Fashion Hinterland, overrun by Ann Taylorites and Eddie Bauer heads, and headed downhill fast into a sea of black pinstripes.

I was wrong.

I was thrilled to find out about this fashion show in time to actually attend it. I seem to have a habit of finding out about fashion events AFTER THEY HAPPEN, sending me into a blind rage and Neiman Marcus to soothe my nerves.

It was a feast for the senses. The location, the Carnegie Library, easily could have been located in Italy or France, with its sweeping balustrades and lofty ceilings. I did not know DC had such a venue.

I knew DC had the second most gay men in the US, second only to San Francisco, and they were all there! They all came to this event. I'm pretty sure of it. And they are so darn pretty!!! God, I love gay men!!!

Jaci Wilson Reid took the stage in the most awe-inspiring Roberto Cavalli dress I have ever seen (BELOW). Occasionally, Mr. Cavalli overdoes it with leaopard prints and bling bling, but this dress was simply incredible. Made me weepy with nostalgia for Tuscany... I just drove by his villa not a month before the show, on my way back to Florence from my friends' villa in Chianti. (I wasn't invited into Cavalli's villa, but I did visit the Cavalli Cafe...)



I did find some pictures of a party at Lotus Lounge, and some from last year's FFP in Miami, but none from the show I attended:

FFP on Flickr

My favorite designers were, in this order, Elizabeth Muir, Ecliptica, and Orangia's frothy pieces. I was lucky to meet Elizabeth Muir in person and purchase one of her stunning pieces, straight from Afghanistan (yellow mirrored coat in picture).




I'm working on buying something from Ecliptica. They should be sending me their 2008 catalog in the near future. The sisters' design team is as gorgeous and chic as the designs. One of them had the most incredible brown drapey jumpsuit... backless, flowy and striking. I noticed it immediately. Those girls got game.

No comments: